Saturday, October 10, 2009

Versailles, Falafel, and Boeuf Bourgignon

Okay, let's see....

Thursday I only had class till 12:15, so afterward I went home, had some food, talked to some people, and then headed to a wine and cheese tasting back at school. It was all pretty good and a really fun time.
Afterwards I had my conversation, where we went to an Indian restaurant/bar and tried to learn a few new things in French. It was a pretty cool place and a nice change from the usual Parisian cafe.

I woke up early the next day to try to see a public Fashion Show in the huge department store in Paris, but unfortunately I had no luck in finding it. However, with a suggestion from my friend Jackie I next went on a search for falafels. Little did I know, but I had actually listed the place I went to in my list of Paris restaurants I wanted to try.

L'As du Falaffel had the BEST falafel I've ever had, with mouth watering falafels, decadent eggplant, an amazing hummus/tahini sauce, cabbage instead of cucumbers (yummy!), and tomatoes. Simply delicious.
After this I went back home, took a quick nap, sent a postcard, and then headed to school again for our trip to Versailles. Although the weather said the day was supposed to be sunny, it was far from being so.
Versailles was huge, but unfortunately only a small part is open to the public. It was pretty intense, with a lot of decor, paintings, the pretty cool hall of mirrors, and such, but I still felt drawn back to the intensity of Chambord. Our tour guide was nice, but unfortunately spent time on insignificant trivia rather than history, so that was a little disappointing.
We then took a walk through the gardens for a bit (which were my favorite part!), but decided we would all come back another day so we could enjoy the beauty with the help of the sun...


Although I wasn't very hungry I joined everyone for dinner, yet as we arrived at the Saint Michel stop it was pouring, so we had to run around in the rain trying to find a place to eat.

The restaurant we chose was spectacular. There are four things I really want to eat here: French Onion soup, Boeuf Bourgignon, the fish in Julie and Julia, and Creme Brulee. Well, except for the fish, all three were available for a relatively cheap prefix price, so almost all of us ordered that.


The French Onion soup wasn't as good as the other place's, but the Boeuf Bourgignon was exceedingly fabulous and the creme brulee was quite good. Success!
After dinner we decided to go home, and although we considered going back out we ended up just staying at the dorms and chilling a bit.

And thus my weekend continues!

2 comments:

Nik said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hrUGFhsXo

Posmotri said...

That is freaking awesome! I love Flight of the Conchords, but I've never seen this part before. Sweetness.

(Is that Nik btw, or?)