Friday, October 2, 2009

Blois, Chambord, evil foie gras, and decadent chocolate

Bonjour! So today was a really long day. Our entire Civ English group piled on a bus a little after 8 towards Blois. My favorite part of Blois was the outdoor staircase, but I guess I also liked how each wing came from a different part of history and thus were completely different in style. Afterwards we went to dinner at l'Orangerie. The entree was one of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten. Everyone's face was priceless as we dipped into a salad with some soft sausage thing covered in a thin/crunchy outside. I almost finished it, but couldn't take it all in. It was horrifying. We later found out it was foie gras wrapped in a carrot...it was revolting.
The plate, however, was much better. It was rabbit with some vegetables. Not bad. A little too fatty for my taste, but that might just be rabbit in general. It had some interesting spices on it...oh, and the potatoes were lovely as usual. And of course there was bread and red wine (which I also used to get through the foie gras). Dessert was fantastic, with some hollow sugar-like cookies, a little bit of peach or apricot ice cream, and a small chocolate cake thingy that had a chocolate cookie like shell and melted chocolate and cream inside, all on top of more cream. Simply decadent. Add a small coffee and I think it may have made up for the awful foie gras.
We then drove to Chambord, which was simply amazing. We had audioguides, but I think they were completely inefficient because they spoke for more than 5 or 10 minutes per room and honestly we only had about an hour, so they didn't do much for me. Plus, they didn't have guides for a lot of the rooms, and actually a lot of the rooms were empty for no known reason.
Emily and I just basically explored and took a lot of pictures and went a little silly with it all. Finally, with a long bus ride home, I settled down for the day (tomorrow will be a busy day so I don't really feel like going out), and now I'm doing a bit of reading and such. A demain!

1 comment:

Lyra said...

I envy you - such amazing architecture! Wish I was out there with you :)

a bientot, et bon chance avec tes etudes.