Wednesday, September 30, 2009

following Amelie's footsteps

I tried to post this yesterday but my internet was way too slow... So Emily, Lloyd and I met up to go to class Monday morning, taking the RER to school a bit early before preparing for class. Civilization classes are 2.5 hours a day. Luckily we get a break in the middle or else I’d fall asleep. Not that it’s not interesting, but I am still jet-lagged and on a crazy sleep schedule so I’m really tired in the mornings. Class went well and I even participated, yet the professor still randomly calls on people so I’m a little apprehensive about that.

Having about an hour and a bit for lunch, a few of us go to one of the local cafes to grab a bite to eat. I’m trying to save money and my stomach for my dinners, so I go a cheaper route and
simply buy a pain chocolate et almonde, bread with chocolate in the center and almonds on top (simply decadent).
Next was my first French class and boy was it insane. All the teacher does is speak and French, and somehow two or three people in the class immediately learn how to recognize words and respond, and that stresses me out every single time. We learn so much that by half-way through I am aching to leave class and clear my head and unfocus, but that isn’t allowed apparently. So French class continues. Yes, it’s interesting, but I feel we don’t get enough support in understanding everything and everything is just thrown at us. Spanish 20200 wasn’t even close to being this difficult and intense.

After getting our computers hooked up to the school’s internet and computer, and after failing
to find these specific French dictionaries, Lloyd, Benny and I head back to the Cite to meet up with Emily to start on the day’s adventure. Today’s destination: Montmartre. Yes, the very spot where Amelie was filmed. What’s strange was that I was just thinking about visiting here a few days ago, and now all of a sudden Emily really wanted to go there. Huzzah!

Well, it’s good Emily and I didn’t go alone. We got off at the Gare du Nord station and everything was crazy. The melting pot had arrived at this very station and people were en mass, filling every inch of the station and pushing and shoving their way around. Once we finally got
above ground and out of the station, we realized that the outside wasn’t much better. The area…was unique. Lots of different vendors, lots of different people, some not so great looking people…a chaotic mess.
Yet once we walk a bit further on the area gets amazing. We walk for awhile towards Sacre Couer and then realize what we have to do: walk hundreds and hundreds of stairs. So we do. Once we get up I’m kind of forced to buy some water to cool myself down. And once we get up we’re met with one of the most amazing views I’ve ever seen. I already know you don’t get such an amazing AND free view at the Eiffel Tower!

After looking out for a bit we head into Sacre Couer itself, which didn’t allow photos. There were probably a dozen alters and thousands of candles lit up around the aisle, along with a very beautiful painting above the main alter. Outside of Sacre Couer, on the side, where some cool looking small castle-esque builings, but unfortunately no one seemed to want to explore that area. Oh well. We sat on the steps in front of Sacre Couer for awhile, listening to a young French singer attempting to sing some American music.
Looking out at Paris and at all of these pathways and steps up to here, I am reminded of Amelie. And even though we haven’t really seen many places in the movie I actually remember, it is at this moment, with thoughts of that amazing movie, with good company, and with a great landscape that I finally feel a small attachment and love for Paris. It isn’t what I expected, but it’s something, and it’s a pretty good feeling.
After a while we get up (although again I maybe wish we would have stayed for the sunset) and start on down. We walk for a good long while, passing by some pretty cool streets and stores. After a while we realize we’re about ¾ of the way to the Seine, so we figure we might as well walk to the river and take the RER from there.
On our way we passed Place de la Concorde...which was also pretty amazing!



After walking for about as long as I did the day before, we decided to sit down at the restaurant Le Bizuth on Bd St. Germain. We all order a ‘veal stew,’ basically veal and pasta for only 10 euros, and we all share a bottle of wine. The amount of food for such a cheap price was ridiculous! The veal was a little dry, but overall it was good, and the entire experience was pretty awesome. After dinner we finally headed back home. Unfortunately, it was already 10pm and I still had about 2 hours of homework…which is why I had to write the blog this late! More updates to come when my internet runs faster...and when I don't have to get to class!

No comments: